WWI Photography US in London detail
WWI Photography Catalog
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Fine Print

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Twitter Follow

« Not Seeing the Atomic Forest for the Trees | Main | An Acrobatic Non-Semi-Robot, 1876 »


Alex Aranovich

This stippling is usually produced with a tool called a mezzotint rocker. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzotint

I love your blog, by the way.

Christopher Fahey

It looks more like an aquatint, a later invention, where a powder resist is sprinkled on the plate, melted in place, then dropped in the acid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatint

John F. Ptak

Thanks Christopher and Alex for those production/tech notes. I guess I was a little misleading with the title--I state that the print was made in 1796 but refer to the Renaissance dots part of the original, so I guess I muddied it up a little.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name is required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)